Berstan Homes have seen many changes in the Box Hill area from the days when Berstan Homes directors Mark & Paul Bryson did their trade school training at what they called the Gas works situated on Elgar Road Box Hill.
A little brief history about the (gas works).
In 1889, the Box Hill Gas Company bought the land on the NW corner of Whitehorse and Elgar Rds.
The works would burn coal to produce gas, and digging of the streets started where the gas pipes would be laid.
Gas was used in the streets for lighting, and later to residences of Surrey Hills, Mont Albert, and Box Hill in January 1890. Bath-heaters, coppers and stoves could be operated instantly without relying on supplies of dry firewood.
Initially, only small areas of these suburbs were supplied.
The gasworks operated until 1974, with the arrival of natural gas, and the works were later demolished to make way for the new Box Hill College of TAFE.
Well the gas works has long but gone and a brand new TAFE college was built in its place back in 1981. Since the TAFE college was built the transformation of Box Hill has been amazing with multiple shopping centres and office buildings a plenty. Berstan Homes have very deep routes in the area and this knowledge can be invaluable when contemplating home building projects. Our display village is now open with homes ranging from Cat1 to Cat2 and high end so we can offer homes for every market. Call a consultant at Berstan Homes today for more details.